Thursday, August 20, 2015

New Therapy Centre

Some People Died decided to change their targetted group of clients. Each centre would only provide transport to clients living in the centre's area. In other words, I was to leave this centre. I was given 2 choices nearer my house, or I could go somewhere else of my choice.

I am ok with anything, as long as the new centre could provide the facilities that I need. Nothing fancy, just a standing frame, space, aircon and people who know how to help.

The manager said there definitely wouldn't be the electrical standing frame as it's 1 of the only 2 in Singapore. As for manpower, they could train somebody.

Fine, I understand. The manual one ley?

Not sure, will check. Will check about the space and aircon too.

WTF man! They were doing things the wrong way! Can you see that the client's requirement is not the priority here? Didn't even know the equipment they have? They were just off-loading people because they had to, with no consideration whether other centres have the means to accommodate or not! It's like take it, or leave it. If you quit, then they could add you to the statistics of the number of clients they have served and discharged!

The manager added that I'm welcomed to stay, but I would have to arrange for my own transport.

Just trying to hide their real motive! They know their less-than-ideal location - a 10min walk along unsheltered, broken pavements with plenty of construction around. My place is not that far when you drive - just 15min. I reckoned it will take the same amount of time to reach that particular centre that's in the same area as my house.

Anyway, I hate that centre near my house lah. I'm never ever going there! Recap here.

The manager got back to me, saying there's no standing frame at the moment, but they were going to close a branch and move the equipment over. Ok, cool.

They didn't have the Motomed either. What... Sigh nevermind, I'm sure they could find me something to do.

Their space is rather small. Huh... actually ok lah, just do a few more rounds.

Parents went to recce the place. Mother said the place was very small and the machines were all not suitable for me. She told me not to transfer. But I didn't really have a choice here, did I?

13/8
So I'm set. I'm transferring. I got discharged and the manager said they would take care of the rest. Since the transport would be from another organization, I asked for the time and if they knew where to pick me up. She said they would call me.

New rules though. Caretakers need to pay to take the transport. Whattt...

Didn't get to see S before I leave. No goodbye :\

17/8
No contact or whatsoever since the day I got discharged. Such seamless transfer?

Today's the first day, and the transport didn't come. Half-expecting this to happen, so I didn't bother to call anybody to check and just went home to work. Anyway I didn't know if I should be calling the old centre for the new centre's mistake, since I didn't have the new centre's contact. Maybe they would call me instead so I could save on outgoing calls.

Of course nobody called me. Nobody seemed to be bothered by the fact that I missed my appointment. Damn it, got to take the initiative. Called up the old centre to feedback. Turned out that the paper was still stuck on their side. Sigh...

Then I got a couple of phone calls from the new centre. They didn't know when I could start attending PT, but they would let me know ASAP. O...k...

Today
It didn't take long for them to confirm, so I'm finally gonna attend PT at the new centre. The transport picked me up at 9.30am. I got to sleep more!

Didn't like the new transport. Damn lazy those guys, never secured my wheelchair because "a powered chair will not move". You sure it wouldn't move when there's an accident? That's why we use restraints in the first place, right?

The new centre was under a block of flats. There were a few rooms and I wasn't sure which one it was, because all the lights were not on.

Found the one, and my usual PT was there. Wow, the place is really small. And yes, no Motomed, standing frame. Probably only the hand cycle was usable. Feeling irritated at the place already.

My PT asked me to transfer to their manual wheelchair because "a powered chair is too heavy and will damage the floor".

WHY THE FUCK DID THEY CHOOSE THIS MATERIAL THEN? They know the purpose of the places right? People are going to come in wheelchairs, right? Still want to pick and choose the type of wheelchairs allowed to roll on their premises? This place is ridiculous. And they still haven't turned on all the lights.

Their wheelchair was fucking dusty. There's a white coating can?! It's so dusty that I had to look at my PT and say that out loud. He got my hint and dusted the seat, but the seat was like hopelessly dusty coz the dust has settled into the seams. Ok, he tried his best. Suck thumb and transfer.

There was no transfer board. Tried to do without it, failed. My PT carried me over. He wheeled me to a bed that's like 2m away. They wouldn't damage an inch of their precious floor. Let's see how long they can keep this up.

No PT today. First session was always assessment. The manager was saying that I had to pay for it, but since I wasn't informed about it, they would waive the fee. Ya... I'm paying for PT although I was not getting any PT right...

I was supposed to bring my discharge summary but of course, I wasn't told about it.

My PT and transport charges remain the same (despite the shorter distance...). $15 more if my caretaker wants to take the transport. I had to pay the whole month's fees at the start of the month, as well as a refundable deposit of $200 on the first day. Again, I wasn't told about it. What, did they expect people to carry $300 spare cash? I don't know if people normally do, but Father was one of them. He paid. Not before making noise about it and them saying we could pay next time.

But I wasn't happy about having to pay the full month's fees. Were we going to forfeit the fees if we missed a session? Only upon questioning, did they clarify that the amount would be used to offset against next month's fees. Really, they could do with better communication!

No comments: