Monday, August 03, 2015

KL Trip Preparation - Leaving KLIA

Going to KL in a few days. The first time I'm travelling to Malaysia on our own without transport from my relatives. First and foremost, how do we get out of the airport?

Sister highly-recommended the KLIA Ekspres, which costs RM35/pax. It is a comfortable 28min ride into the city, no traffic jam. Sounds great, except the city is not our final destination.

Possible routes
1)
Airport to KL Sentral via KLIA Ekspress
-> KL Sentral to Raja Chulan via Monorail
-> Raja Chulan to apartment via Taxi
3 modes of transport. Not appealing at all, considering that we will be lugging 2 trolley bags, 1 wheelchair and 1 senior citizen who cannot walk much.

2)
Airport to KL Sentral via KLIA Ekspress
-> KL Sentral to apartment via Taxi

3)
Airport to apartment via Taxi

I was unable to find any confirmation that KL Sentral's KLIA Ekspress and Monorail stations are linked. Or whether there exists barrier-free access out of the station, in case they are not linked, or we opt for Route 2. The KL Sentral website is damn irritating can? There is no barrier-free access information, but investor information aplenty!
The very "helpful" FAQ, with questions that 99% of the visitors will not ask
The very informative description of the ERL.
I know, KL is a modern city and if boarding at KLIA is barrier-free, KL Sentral, as a major station, should be barrier-free also. I might choose to believe this, if not for my encounters for Furano and Biei, popular destinations plied by special trains, yet has NO lift access at the train stations! No more assumptions, confirmations, please.

Disability and accesss-related information from KLIA Ekspress.
Fair enough. But still doesn't answer my question. Talk about fares, but never talk about accessibility! And ask you to make your own arrangements! I understand where they are coming from, but feels like they are skirting the question. Is this a hint that if the station is NOT accessible, they have absolved themselves from any form of assistance? At least now I am assured that I should not have expectation in this aspect anymore.

I tell you, KL is the only city with such a lousy website!!! Either the navigation is really bad, or they are really more interested in investors than their primary service - commuting! Check out other countries.
Japan JR East
Singapore SMRT
Taipei metro
So anyway, all these uncertainties eliminated KLIA Ekspress. And the fare is not that cheap at all. It should be better for us to risk a traffic jam and travel by taxi.

Checked with my Airbnb host, who also recommended taxi. Somehow, I thought he should not refer to the apartment's proximity to Raja Chulan station as a selling point... hahaha. Since the locals don't heart their public transport also.

No comments: