Thursday, October 20, 2011

Food @ The Corner of Singapore

Hospital Food
O man. The food.

Our food was catered by Way Point Hospital. Unlike in No Use Hospital, despite being technically still their patients, meal choices were starkly limited in comparison. It's either Malay or Chinese (which is halal). Malay meant spicy. Since I don't like the Malay kind of spicy, I was stuck with Chinese.

Limited nevermind. But why must it look AND taste awful?
Fish Day


I must praise the kitchen for being consistent in standard.

The most consistently-ok dish was the fish. I mean, you can't go very wrong with the frozen fish fillet. But why must they dice it instead of leaving it whole? Doesn't look nice you know.

The chicken was consistently-bad. Tough, according to Father.

Chicken-fish-chicken-fish. That's about it.

Vegee. How did they manage to cook it so black?? It's not the overcooked yellow and soft. Curious how it turned into this state.

Soup was tasteless, but that's fine since it's normal for budget meals.

Fruits were ok lah. Variety was good. Cut fruits were still salted as usual. Sometimes you get a huge banana.

That's all so depression-inducing. Think I would be malnutritioned if I had to eat all that and still picked on my food. Weren't we paying the same amount? Why such differential treatment?

Poor Father had to eat all those so as not to waste food. The hospital should just stop providing me meals.

The staff have their meals catered - good idea since there's not much food choices around. But alarmingly, the same chef! Meaning while patients only have to put up with it for the length of their stay, the staff were doomed for the duration of their posting! *gasp*

The poor Way Point Hospital patients are also eating the same crap. So much for paying private rates. Refund! Heard class A patients' food in No Use Hospital got proper presentation and courses one. What if they had to be transferred here? I will feel cheated TTM!


The Daily breakfast
I started taking photo of the breakfast every morning in an attempt to find a pattern to the menu.

See any pattern? Not exactly, but I see the attempt at variety.

I was happy to see beehoon soup, but my happiness was short-lived when it was affirmed that I truly had problems eating soupy items. Feed me please. *ding dong*

Oats. Bleah oats. Oh no.

Fish porridge with hardly any fish. You've guessed it, frozen fish fillet.

Vegetarian fried beehoon! O I found a slice of fish cake. Vegetarian fried beehoon.

Cornflakes with milk! But I can't drink milk in the morning. Dry cornflakes :| I requested for cornflakes whenever the breakfast was oats. Or toast with jam.

Actually, the breakfast was alright. Why couldn't they do the same for the other 2 meals of the day?

Drink was diluted Milo as usual.


Afternoon Tea
3pm is tea time. It's either butter toast or biscuits with Milo. Their tea time was barely 1 hr after lunch, so I usually didn't take it. I don't eat butter toast anyway... But if it was biscuits day, I would keep them for Mother :P Sometimes I drank the Milo out of boredom. Paid already, 不喝白不喝.

I didn't realize coffee and tea was actually available until the daughter of my neighbor in front of me asked. Wow they must be seasoned hospital stayer/visitor! But the coffee and tea were both bleah - diluted. I shall only have them occasionally.


Home-Catering With Love
It's still noodles soup everyday. Lots of pork, quality fishes and vegetables. Sometimes it's char siew buns or chee cheong fun for a change. I think I was eternally hungry - gobbling much of the goodies. Should be fine lah, I need nutrients right?

We were actually not supposed to bring in pork, much less use their cutlery on pork :X My meals were always late, resulting in us returning the cutlery super late. Thanks to the staff for being so patient with us.

I really don't get the food restrictions imposed by Mother. About which foods are "毒". It's almost arbitrary. Got to stick with it for the magic number of 100 days.

Non-fish seafood - Banned. I'm fine with that. It's not something I eat on a daily basis anyway. However, octopus was allowed for cooking soup. ???

Meat - Only white meat allowed. Chicken and egg are not allowed. So I'm left with pork. But pork bone soup was not allowed, meaning I outside food containing soup was not allowed. Those banned items constitute a good part of my favourite foods.

Fish - Must have scales. Sounds kosher. Ah, something that the Chinese and Jews agree on. The popular 生鱼 was not allowed as it "is parasites-infested".

Dairy - Ok. Teh peng, ice-cream, yoghurt here I come! (There's egg in ice-cream!)

No I didn't hear that.

Vegetables - Major nos: onion, garlic and other strong-smelling varieties. Bland, boring. Small vegetable like beansprouts are also out, as they will make my legs weak like how small and soft they are. I can see your eyes widen in disbelief. Seaweed doesn't even have a stem, but it's allowed. Poor beansprouts being discriminated against.

Flavoring - No dark soy sauce as it will darken the wound. @_@ Artificial flavoring must be ok right? *Eating cup noodles happily*

Pure randomness, I say.


16 Oct
W and his gf came to visit me. They came directly from the ferry terminal after concluding their break in Batam. They brought me Meiji yoghurt! Thanks! Kept them in the ward fridge. Well, he did ask me if he could bring me anything. What I really wanted was Indomie, but couldn't cook here mah. Had a nice time catching up.

Is it mean of me to classify this under Food?


21 Oct
Today's breakfast was the ok fish porridge and W's strawberry yoghurt. Ahh~~


22 Oct
I love weekends. It was sweet torture thinking about what to ask Brother to dapao and reminding myself of what I couldn't eat at the same time.

MSG. I needed my MSG fix.

Shihlin oyster mee sua minus oyster, chicken cutlet, crepe, teh peng and chocolate cake. Actually all of that except the teh peng was illegal. There's either chicken or egg. Just not too illegal. Mother made Brother bring a slice of cheese and fruits, which I think I only managed to eat the latter. I could barely move~

What about the hospital lunch? What hospital lunch?

Nothing bad happened after the chicky lunch.


23 Oct
I shall have something very different today. Let's see what we have at Pig Cage Point... Indian food? Haven't had that in a while. So I got Brother to buy mutton (coz chicken not allowed whaaattt) dum briyani from Anjappar Authentic Chettinaad Restaurant. The difference between normal and dum briyani is that dum briyani's meat is cooked with the rice in a sealed pot. So I got a very fragrant styrofoam box of basmati rice tasty enough to eat on its own. Came with a piece of that big, beige keropok. I think got hard boiled egg also. Brother got prata too. ~nom nom nom~

Nothing bad happened after the spicy lunch.


24 Oct - Food Service - Patient Satisfaction Survey

Hor hor hor... you are asking for it...


26 Oct
It's Deepavali and time for celebration! Dum briyani again! Today's dessert was half a Cornetto. (Egg! Egggg!!!)

G came with her mother and brought me illegal stuff like liquor-filled chocolates (nom nom nom) and Ritter Sport. That's because I had to reject her kind offer of cai tau kuay ha ha ha. G was sniffy. Get well soon.

Being mean again by classifying a visit under Food...!


30 Oct
Determined to have something really special today. I have researched hard since last night and in the nick of time, I have concluded that it's possible to pre-order and dapao 鼎泰丰!

No soupy stuff, 小笼包. By the time they get here, they will be inedible.


排骨蛋炒飯. Mine came in a box of course.

First time trying this. And I was swept over.


1 Nov
Way Point Hospital must have reflected over our survey response. Today, we were presented with a menu! OMG this has been unheard of for all of us since we were banished here! But now then they change... transferring soon ley.

Now let's see what they've got. There was finally mutton - baru! But that was the Malay menu. Scared too spicy for Father, so I didn't dare to choose it. Same old thing for me :(

No comments: