My break of the year has arrived!
10/5
Going for entropion correction surgery on my left eye. As instructed, I reached the Took Their Savings Hospital Day Surgery Centre at 7.30am. Damn, I'm not even awake yet. Will I able able to catch some sleep during the surgery?
What a crowd at the Day Surgery Centre! Are there so many operating theaters? I was called only at 8.30am. So they were allowing 1 hr for registration...
Got to choose my ward class now in case I had to be hospitalized (choy choy). No need to pay today. Those considering running off without paying can take note.
I was led to the waiting area where I had to be transferred to the bed and get changed. The staff told Father that they could leave me to them, but I was shocked when an elderly lady was assigned to me! Not shocked due to prejudice, but at the cruelty! I know I'm not easy; how can I allow her to lift me? Leave this to Father, she can do the rest :)
I was wheel into a tiny room where the anaesthesia doctor (must be a MO) explained what she was going to do. She proceeded to set an IV plug on the back of my left wrist by first tying a rubber glove on my wrist and patting on the area. Well... I wondered if I should tell her that I have more bones than flesh, so the glove was really just squeezing my bones and probably not helping the vein to pop up. Anyway, she gave up within a few seconds to get help from a nurse to clench my wrist really tightly. As instructed, I opened and closed my fist a few times. And she got it in. Great! She injected some water and I confirmed there was no pain. A stream of coolness traveled down my wrist. Idea for cooling service?
Electrodes were attached to me to monitor my heartbeat. Never imagined that was necessary. How cautious!
Things started proper only at 9.30am. I was wheeled into the OT. Smaller than last time (of course, need so big for what). They put a little oxygen tube in my mouth, with 2 holes blowing moist air (good, they didn't forget). Had fun blocking 1 hole, both, partially to make it whistle. Too bored.
There was another 1 or 2 (forgot how many) surgeons apart from my doctor. Probably juniors, as they look young.
The doctor drew lines on my eyelid. I was injected with drugs to help me relax and a bit sleepy. Luckily no smelly gases.
In a nutshell, the doctor will stitch my eyelid so as to create a scar (and create a double eyelid at the same time), which will pull my eyelid up and also flip the lashes out.
Throughout the operation, my eyes were closed most of the time, opening only when the doctor instructed me to. I hope I didn't miss any of her instructions... I have been wondering how I was going to keep my eyes open for so long. So actually no need lah!
My doctor said something about joining the natural crease on my eyelid. Eh... that one so low, you sure you should join there?
Snoozing too comfortably... I thought I smelled a faint BBQ smell... the doctor was probably burning off my skin. She commented that they should not cut off too much skin so that I wouldn't have problem closing my eye.
The anaesthesia started wearing off halfway and I felt a slight prick. Consciousness index +++ ! The doctor noticed and gave me numbing eyedrops again.
Think they did the stitches twice? Coz the doctor thought the first time looked weird and different from my right eye. Haiz but that day my right eye already looked weird due to lack of sleep! Hope it will all turn out ok XD
The surgery was completed in 1.5hrs. I was given an ice bag to reduce the swelling and laid with the bed propped up. The ice bag was not cold one ley... too much cloth. And the cloth was dry. But maybe it was supposed to be like that? Whatever.
The nurse asked if I would like some food and drink, to which I declined out of reflex. Remember the crappy hospital snacks?? But I remembered that I haven't had any water since last night. Ok, I admit I had a few drops when rinsing my mouth.
So I accepted the offer. The snack was the standard 2 slices of butter bread and Milo. Actually I didn't really want the bread as I don't usually eat butter bread, but since the gentle nurse has already brought it to my face, I just ate it lor. Limiting to 1 slice only! The Milo ah, exceptionally gao lor! I was pleasantly surprised with their liberal use of the powder! Can I have another helping please? :D~~ No lah, not so greedy. Still need to eat lunch later.
The nurse removed the IV plug, applied pressure on the wound and put a plaster over it. A minute later, I noticed the area swelling. Instead of seeking attention, I was more interested in poking at it -_- The nurse saw what I was doing, so she applied more pressure over the wound.
The nurse gave me the post-op care instructions and got me changed while Father got my medicine from level 2 (no need to pay also).
Cold compress to reduce swelling for the first 3 days and warm compress for the next 3 days. Zip-loc bags provided. (The first thought that crossed my mind was using them for storage instead...) Paracetamol for pain (damn I just restocked). Eye ointment thrice daily. Eyedrops for dry eyes. Advised to avoid crowded places.
"You don't need an MC right?"
What an offensive assumption! She's gonna send me away without the most important thing, in fact, the reason why I'm here?
She returned with 1 week of hospitalization leave. Whattt I thought 2 weeks? She said I could ask the doctor for more when I return for my follow-up next week. Huh... didn't know it works this way. I started considering whether I should tell my boss that I can only decide whether I need more rest next week. Makes no sense to flip-flop about my absence. Just die die get the MC next week lah.
I was good to go.
I was given a feedback form. You are asking for it!
Brother had already left the area, so I couldn't have lunch with him. Couldn't think of anything that I badly wanted to eat around here. Actually it's better that I go home lah. No mood to stay out also.
When I got home, I couldn't think of anything that I wanted to eat which was also "legal". Heck it, char kuay teow!
Using the computer was uncomfortable. I couldn't look straight ahead comfortably, only down, otherwise I could feel my eyelid stretching. Which kind of meant I should make do with my phone, but I wouldn't, if you know me.
Time for a cold compress. Man, applying the cold compress and surfing the net at the same time was harder than I imagined. Maybe it's because I could close just my left eye. And because I couldn't find the perfect position to apply the cold compress. Discouraged when I couldn't find any difference after the application.
Shopped 淘宝 until I discovered my whole left eye was all red, so I went to take a nap.
When bathing, I put a DIY plastic eye patch over my eye and sealed up with surgical tape so that I could shampoo as usual. Cleaned off the face wash on my eye area using a handkerchief instead of water.
I slept with my bed raised for 2 nights. Supposed to do 3, but it was really uncomfortable. Also I was tearing even more while I was sleeping than while awake. The "something in my eye" feeling was more acute when my eye was closed. Had to keep tissue paper in my pocket.
I tried applying my next cold compress in bed. Slightly better, but my arm went numb due to the raised position.
12/5
By day 2, I was just applying cold compress twice and by day 3, once. I did feel a minuscule difference after the treatment, but not enough to justify the effort.
13/5
Is it unconventional for a western doctor to suggest a warm compress? All along I thought it is a Chinese thing. I tried the warm compress using egg for the first time and rice for the second time. I felt it was a waste of egg/rice for the barely detectable improvement. Worse, I was kind of worried about cooking my eye in the process. Abandoned the therapy.
I still look pretty beaten-up.
No comments:
Post a Comment