Mother's Day dinner! She gets to choose. She has been eyeing 八宝素食馆 next to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. Unfortunately, seating is only available from the second storey onwards, so it is inaccessible for me.
Last minute next choice as recommended by Mother's friend - 鸿阁素食馆 Graces Court Vegetarian Restaurant at Hotel Royal Queen. Weird place. Sounds like some dodgy hotel in a dodgy location!
I'm just being biased. I am totally willing to stay in such a place for my holiday while I call the same thing at home dodgy.
Had to wait outside for the dinner session to start. Ok lah I'm not hungry. Maybe full from thinking that I had to eat fake meat.
Ordered ala carte. NO FAKE MEAT.
I'm still unimpressed by all Chinese vegetarian restaurants so far, with the exception of Ling Zhi.
My main gripes are that the dishes are mostly either the mock of some meat dish or deep fried.
Why can't somebody proudly create a vegetarian dish that does not look like an animal for a change? If I wanted to eat mock meat in the first place, you don't have to make it look like a duck to make me eat it. Fine, you still want to make the dish look like a duck. But why must you use MOCK MEAT? One of the worst tasting food around with bad mouthfeel.
Maybe to make the people who have never tasted meat their whole life, think that they haven't missed much.
Look at these vegan dishes! Don't they look appetizing on their own?
To be fair, Ling Zhi is just vegetarian, whereas the rest are Buddhist vegetarian. I concede that Buddhist vegetarian is more restrictive. But whether this is a valid reason to have so many mock meat items on the menu, I disagree. Sorry, I can't be a Buddhist vegetarian, ever!
Back to the dinner. It was unmemorable.

No comments:
Post a Comment