Wednesday, November 30, 2011

First Outing

22 Nov
Got a rude shock when the nurse told me about an appointment at No Use Hospital 7 days later only today. Tsk! Did they think patients and their families' lives revolves around seeing doctors? Certainly not me, at least!

She said they forgot to tell me about this one. Funny that she specifically instructed me to bring my home clothes to change into before going for my appointment. Why? Scared that I don't return and kapo the hospital baju?

I have an appointment to see Dr L just 2 days after this surprise. What a waste of time, money and leave to make 2 trips. Couldn't No Use Hospital have scheduled them on the same day?

I called in to condense this to the same day as Dr L's, but this clinic is only available on Wednesdays :(


30 Nov
I made a date with C for physiotherapy in the morning, but K the OT spoilt it by bringing in a bunch of students :( So I wasted only free slot of the day answering noob questions, listening to K talk to the students and acting as a specimen when required.

Changed into my home clothes - new front-buttoned pyjamas with stretchy pants. Not much better than the hospital baju. When was the last time I went out in pyjamas?

Brother arrived after lunch and off we went. Father left the new wheelchair cushion on the hospital wheelchair accidentally. Had to call up the hospital security to ask them to keep it for us. No cushion = bad time in the wheelchair today!

Having to sit in the cab with the TLSO on was probably the worst experience encountered so far. Post-op, therapy, e.t.c. are all incomparable. My bum had sunk into the seat, pushing the TLSO up. The rigidity of the TLSO, concave seat backrest and protruding headrest combined to create the ultimate seat of torture - no back support to speak of, head pushed forward by the headrest, chin pushed up by the TLSO, teeth so tightly clenched that my jaw was beginning to hurt. The journey never felt longer. Such a relief to be liberated, that the wheelchair was paradise despite the absence of the cushion.

My appointment was at 3.30pm to see the rehabilitation doctor. My card stated the doctor as the one who was in charge of me, the lady who favored low-cut flowery dresses.

Surprise, the doctor sitting in the room was a pretty, young lady in low-cut tank top (strange, is low-cut the unspoken uniform for lady rehab doctors?)with a cardigan thrown in for professionalism, Dr EA. She should have used some hollywood fashion tape and not just nipple tape for decency when she bended over X_X Not sure how many male patients kena nose bleed!

She recommended neurological physiotherapy. I expressed my preference to come here for physiotherapy (just to get as many choices as I could). She informed me that Dr L ordered "gait retraining".

Gait retraining. Hmm.

So I was to wait for the physiotherapy department to contact me for an appointment.

Today's damage:
Consultation Services (SC - RV) $48.00

Subsidy -$20.00
Out of pocket $28.00

When I got back to hospital, it was already nearly 6pm. Utter waste of hospital fees today. I ought to get refunded for today's therapy and get a discount for using less of their resources!

No comments: