Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sotong@Work

Sotongs are not meticulous
First thing in the morning, I was tasked with comparing the settings of 2 servers for a discrepancy. It is not know what or where it could be. As there was no way I could do it the lazy way by letting a program do the work, I could only use my eyes. It's not difficult, just tedious and boring.

So I spent the whole morning combing through each and every option page, tabs within the option pages, links with the tabs... until I ran out of places to find, but still cannot find! Cannot be! The only way was to search all over again.

And I found the discrepancy, tucked away in an innocent-looking link at the very first place I looked.

Moral of the story: If you have looked everywhere for something and yet still can't find it, it's probably at the first place you looked

It doesn't pay to be lazy
Weeks ago, I coded menu generation function for a portal. After confirming that the file structure for the portal is only 3 levels deep and being assured that there would be no more changes as it has been signed off by the user, I figured that it should be sufficient for my function to handle up to 3 levels instead of wasting braincells to produce something that can handle an infinite number of levels.

Yesterday, my leader pointed out a "bug", that the menu doesn't display properly after the 3rd level.

DOT DOT DOT.

Moral of the story: Always follow good programming practices.

No comments: