Friday, February 20, 2015

The Dress From Taobao

O...k... So, Brother and X are getting married. I couldn't think of any pants that's suitable for attending a wedding as a family member, that is NOT leathery (too cool for Mother).

I thought of getting a top and a skirt so that I can still continue wearing the top after we were done with the wedding. I thought it could hide my tummy better and it would be easier to put on, but shopping for 2 pieces meant double the effort. I was too lazy. Not to mention, double the price! Moreover, I though Mother would definitely want me to wear a long (almost full-length at least) skirt. I don't want to. It's a potential nightmare to manage. I think I will be mopping the floor with it when I'm on the wheelchair AND in the toilet. YIKES.

Most importantly, there are not many long skirt designs that are loose and don't make me look like a night club singer...
I'm pretty sure Mother is going to say this is NICE...
I know, throw enough money and I can get anything I want. But I'm not doing that for something I will wear only once, even if it's my Brother's wedding. And I don't think he even cares what I'm going to wear! All to satisfy Mother only!

Getting a dress is in fact, an easier option. There are many designs around, even after eliminating the inauspicious colors. More, if I would choose a sleeveless, above-knee one.

In short, she just wants me to hide as much of my skin under cloth as possible. And no fitting pieces please. She is too ashamed of my diseased limbs.
This might be perfect
And add 20 years to my age at the same time.

IGNORE.

No time to go out to shop. I turned to Taobao. X was getting her wedding dress to Taobao too!!

My pick.
¥275, ~$60
I'm getting the blue one because Brother dislikes green. Haha. In spite of the BLACK and WHITE in the dress, both illegal colors. And the hemline sure kena disapprove. But hey, it looks young, right? I mean, shortie drowning in a dress immediately looks matronly.

  • Hides the scars on my back.
  • Material looks fit for a formal event.
  • Not figure-hugging.
  • And the feature I like best - I can see clearly where the back zip reaches! Now I'm confident that I can wear this without struggling!

Mother tried to dissuade me, saying that the venue will be cold. Well, the last cold dinner memory was from my childhood. These days, the coldest place is the office lah. I know what she really minded. But I would rather look past the stares to make my life easier and less things to worry and be unhappy about. If she really minds, I don't mind not going up the stage. No barrier-free access, so no matter what I wear, the process of getting up is not going to be pretty.

The shipment from Singapore suffered delays. X warned that it might not arrive in time for the wedding :( I scrambled for a backup plan. Mother tried selling her market finds. No... damn ugly can... the color and the cheap China cotton kind of material...

Went AMK Hub and white sleeveless top with black coffeebeans and a red above-knee (again) skirt. $79.85 T_T Not so heartpain about this money as the top is a keeper, but for the Taobao dress. I can't foresee another occasion for it. It's going to be abandoned upon arrival.

Eventually, the dress arrived, like super last minute can? I think like less than a week before the AD?? The dress is true to the pictures. Does not have the cheapo China look. No thread ends. The material is thick and I'm sure I won't be cold. Happy!

But upon close examination...
Terrible! Almost perfect, but ruined by something so fundamental.

X sewed the torn part for me. Not too noticeable for an amateur seamstress. Ok I'm still wearing this.

Mother was dead against Sister's leather clothes, so she had to get something else. She found an affordable and simple dress from Zalora. The problem: it's white. Unexpectedly, Mother took issue with the cut-out design of the hem, saying it looks like a nightie.
Sister's dress
Victoria's Secret Nightie

In what way does that resemble a nightie??

Ok... a little bit...

Ignore... If really cannot, then wear leather lor LOL.

No comments: