Monday, February 23, 2015

Brother's Wedding

Today is the big day! Like FINALLY. I'm so glad we just have to put up with 2 months' worth of crankiness from Mother instead of the usual 2-3 years for most Singaporeans.

I will be omitting the gushing about how handsome and pretty everybody is and how happy I am for the couple. Obvious things no need to say :)

I skipped my morning PT and took half day leave for the afternoon instead. No thanks to the fucking last minute CR with ever-changing requirements where I had to create a monthly batch job pulling massive results. I couldn't participate in the morning activities as I was working. I know it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing and he's my brother, but seriously... there's nothing much for me lah. Even if I have taken whole day leave, I would be stoning most of the time. Leave is a scarce resource.

I only managed to escape at like, nearly 3pm?? That's it, I'm ignoring ALL work-related stuff from this minute onward.

So much to do. I had to shampoo my hair and get changed. Forgot to bring the waist cincher into the bathroom and there really was no space for Sister to even open the drawer to retrieve it. Ah well, don't wear then. I will breathe in and hold during photos.

Last-minute decided to let the MUA do my makeup also. Need a professional to fix my asymmetrical face mah. Wow falsies work wonders! My eyes look almost the same now. And she even gave my hair makeup - she shook a bottle on my head, which gave the illusion of a fuller crown. Magic! I must get that someday!

Alas, the sky poured when we had to leave. And we were already late. The poor MUA had to rush back home to get changed and then come to the wedding.

Miraculously, the rained stopped when I was about to have to get on a car. Thanksss please keep it this way at the destination too!

Took cousin's car to Liang Court and parked there. Sister has arrived a little earlier and has already collected the cake.

You might have guessed by now that the banquet is at Peony Jade Clarke Quay. Happy that they have a beautiful lift that does not smell musty.

The aircon is a bit chilly, but I think it will be just fine when there are enough people.

Sister and I prepared to start the receptionist duty. I.e. to collect the entrance fee, tell the guest his table and guard the money box. But first, let's savor a Dulcet & Studio custard egg pudding.

The tablet was not such a good idea because people didn't think of using the Find function. And only 1 tablet and 1 phone with the guests list, not enough to go round when people start arriving together. Thanks to Brother's friends for helping out, or I don't think 2 inexperienced gals can cope!

ROM time. Very red, can?
It was over pretty quick.

Yeah yeah let's get on with the food!
Dinner menu
Being still CNY, we had the louhei menu. Special mah, no need to call all your friends to lou separately. Settle all one shot!

Instead of the cold dish appetizer, we had yusheng. Aiyoyo, so little compared to the amount we have at home.

But our table only had 7 people, and 2 people will be away most of the time. Looks like we will be having difficulty finishing the food. Regret sia, should have asked the servers to dapao all of the food :(

A waitress asked if X and I are sisters coz we look alike. ALIKE MEH.

Champagne glass tower
I have always been curious about the champagne glass tower. How the golden liquid flows down without getting on the table. So I guess the trick is to have more than enough glasses. I hope the restaurant washed the glasses really clean and used really clean hands to stack those glasses...

Brother kind of dragged me onto the stage for the toasting. Mother was appalled how high my dress rode up.

Shocked that we could not finish the champagne! Why still have but nobody wants huh! Come all give me!

Fake wedding cake

Dulcet & Studio Blood Orange Chiffon Cake
I was a bit hesitant to get this cake because it's BLOOD orange, don't know if Mother will find it inauspicious? But, just don't tell her lor! Heehee!

Happy birthday to X!

Eh... now the cake looks kind of small on stage. Should I have gotten something bigger? XD

Although people wed on a birthday, it's really the first time I have heard of a real cake at a wedding. I remembered when I was young, I was disappointed to learn that the wedding cake was fake and there was a groove for the couple to slot the knife.

After cutting her birthday cake, X distributed it to whoever wanted a slice. Those kiddos. I thought there wouldn't be any left, so I didn't ask for one. Boohoo I also never tasted it before ley, really should have asked if there's a bigger one.

Throughout the wedding, there was a guest who kept going up to take photos, as if he's the photographer. Even getting the couple to pose for him. Sister and I were baffled. So we asked Brother. He admitted that he's a weirdo. Haha ok.

End of the banquet soon!

大解放! Can drink all I want now! Brother mentioned before that he bought a barrel beer. Yet to taste! I asked for a glass of beer, but the waitress highlighted that there's only jug now. Means what? Ok nevermind, bring a jug, Brother can drink also.

Later I learned because the barrel has run out, they serve by jug only. I see.

Then, family went to send the guests off. Followed by a tea ceremony for the elders. I chugged beer. Sometimes, I think I'm so fortunate to be me.

O shit still must go up the stage to take family photo. Nooo my cold beer...

This time, I told Brother to walk me instead of dragging me. See, more glam now, isn't it?

Next up, settle the bill. Whattt so kan jiong, people haven't finish eating/drinking. Having done my homework earlier, portioning the bill for our credit cards was a breeze. Say hello to maximum rebates and free abalone! Why do I hear of couples having to open angpows on the spot? Like that no rebate ley!

Despite the almost disastrous start, I thought the night went well. Credits to the wonderful emcees for livening up the atmosphere. Can tell a lot were off the script! Much was in Mandarin, I'm sure Mother didn't felt left out.

Brother went home and ate some leftovers. Really should have told the servers not to portion any food for the couple AND to dapao everything, including from other tables. Wahaha.

I ate the cake the next morning. OMG it's good! I thought it would be nothing wow because it's so plain and it's just a chiffon cake, but it's nice in a subtle way. Ate all the cream mmm~~ *Congratulates herself for a cake well-chosen* But actually hor, so small already $54.21, a bit expensive hor.
O gosh it was already 11.15pm when we were paying

Thanks to J for driving me to Dulcet & Studio where I can feel the vibe and be confident that they can deliver the perfect cake on the fifth day of CNY.

Thanks to W for helping X with her nail art when nail parlours have either not resumed operations yet, or charge an arm and a leg.

No comments: