Friday, June 08, 2012

Expensive Shit - Delivered

The orthosis vendor delivered my completed orthosis. Presenting the Hip-knee-ankle-foot-orthosis (HKAFO)...

Looks something like this:

So ugly right?

I tried it on. To put it on, I laid on my bed. I was advised to wear long pants and sports shoes. Those with just a strap over the top of the foot are not recommended as the shoe might become damaged. It took one person to lift my legs and another to slide the HKAFO under me. I got strapped super tightly! How to walk when I can't breathe? Father took photos of how the straps should be secured so that he could show the PT. The vendor marked the holes to use.

Secure the drop locks at the knees and hip. The vendor and Father stood me up with my legs straight as an arrow. Which means I wouldn't be able to do it on my own.

Amazingly, I was able to remain standing without very much effort. It's impossible for me to fall, according to the vendor. However, I would be walking with my legs straight too.

Imagine for yourself...

He passed me my walking frame and asked me to try walking. I couldn't. So this is what I am going to practice at my PT.

Next, sit down mode. Unlock the drop locks and I lose my support immediately, so I had to be helped down. Super uncomfortable to sit as the waist support shifts up and I could hardly breathe. Felt worse than standing! All these orthosis are not made for sitting is it!!!

I paid the balance of $3 grand.

Mother has been making noise about me handing money over too readily. She believes that the doctor and vendor are in cahoots to milk money from me, so I should have played hard to get or shopped around for a better deal. He couldn't be the only person doing this, right? When she saw this orthosis, she was vehement that it's not worth the price - it's just plastic and metal.

She may be right, but I just can't be bothered. Just let me get on with my rehab, please.

O by the way, the TLSO can dump already, thanks.

No comments: