Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bed Bugs!

My thighs have been extremely itchy, with clusters of rashes. Curiously, only the area in direct contact with my chair are affected. Itching is worse in the day. So something is in my chair, but what?

The anti-itch cream is useless. Mother bought some strong-smelling liquid, insisting that it works better. For a second, yes. Frustrating!

One night, I caught a strange bug crawling on my thigh. I don't usually kill insects, but its looks gave me the creeps. I told Brother to catch it. He tried crushing it, but it almost got away. A hardy one.

I googled and started to believe it was a bed bug.

I have heard of infestations in hotels, but it's surreal that it's happening to me. Where did they come from?

How to eradicate them? Some say no cure, got to throw things out, some say steam. I found a video showing how to do it using a steam iron. My chair cushion looked too thick... but still worth a try since that's all I have.

Mother didn't agree with the bed bug conclusion. She said it's just dirty and needed a wash, but we never did because the chair's cushions couldn't be dismantled. Ok, so if that is the problem, I must do something about it right? Stop complaining about having bought the "wrong" chair already! Ignore her. She's just in denial. Denial only extends the duration of the problem, with high probability of deterioration.

We only have a steam iron. Father did the job, sunned it and brought it back when it was really still wet. Please, I can still use Sister's chair temporarily. I'm not drying it with my pants.

Sat on the chair. Rashes appeared again. Didn't work :( I'm throwing out the chair.

Mother didn't agree. She said it's a waste and we haven't tried other methods. But to me, it's not a waste when only 1 chair is affected so far. I don't want to waste anymore time, effort and discomfort on anything else when it can all be settled with $100+. She doesn't like it when we use money to settle problems before trying non-monetary means (which probably are not guaranteed to work). Like trying to haolian our wealth. But if a problem can be solved quickly with a bit of money, why not? Weird!

I threw out my chair immediately. Hope nobody took it home. It's like a healthy-looking person who has HIV. Mental note: NEVER SCAVENGE THROWN OUT STUFF!!

Mother wanted me to get one in light colors and holely backrest without cushion so that we can use our own cushion and the cushion can breathe.

Shopping online for a visitor's chair turned out to be really difficult. Major furniture stores do not carry a visitor chair in the first place.
Something like this. To up the difficulty, it must be a high-back chair.

I was seriously contemplating a geriatic chair.

I did manage to find a few shops though, just that they are not in convenient locations. In black only. No choice. I decided that Solos is going to get my money.

Father went to their showroom in North Bridge Road. They could actually customize the chair by putting together the available parts. I see! So I bought a black visitor's chair matching all my requirements for $138.03. More expensive than my old chair, which cost only $110, if I recalled correctly. O well. Inflation, inflation. Mother only got her wish for holely backrest. Well the cushion is removable, she can remove it if she wants to.

They wouldn't be able to deliver the chair until next week. Father decided to pay his friend to transport it back. Great, but... one of the armrests broke in transit. Huh he never secure the chair properly meh? We managed to get a replacement part out of goodwill, but Father broke it while installing it, blaming it on the poor quality of the material. Solos wouldn't entertain us anymore. Nevermind lah, I'm going to attach my own armrest anyway right??

Mother made a lot of noise as expected. Dark colors cause bed bugs. Backrest cushion again. Backrest with suspension, which is flimsy and will break easily. She accused me of disregarding her preferences when she could see chairs with her specifications everywhere.

Fine, since it's everywhere, buy one when you see it. I will pay for it. Challenge issued.

Settling well into my new chair. This spells the end of the bed bug fiasco. Money well-spent!

No comments: