Sunday, August 03, 2014

Happy Realm Vegetarian Food Centre 素食林

Mother has been wanting to bring us here but I wouldn't come unless it's been verified by a credible person that the place is accessible. Finally the stars have aligned, so we were going there tonight.

The restaurant is in Pearl's Centre, which has been earmarked for demolishing. Since it's a super-old building, there wasn't a proper drop-off point. I had to drop off at a quieter road at the side of the building. Great that there was still a ramp leading to the inside. Only the shops on the outside were still operating. The inside was pretty much dead. Glad the lift was still functioning. But it looked old, dark and creepy. Hope the lift was still being maintained :S

I was under the impression that the restaurant was very popular, but from the looks of the place, it didn't seem to be so. Maybe because it's Sunday. Maybe because the building was going to be torn down. Anyway, just glad that we got a table... a giant table. The deco was very old-school. Nothing fancy. The place was bright. Preferred over those overly-dim restaurants.

Brother brought X along. She served our parents tea and glad that things went well. Mother had hated her before even meeting her. Must be the tea.

The restaurant served the old-school Chinese vegetarian fare. Boring. But food was not bad lah. I think a bit better than Miao Yi Vegetarian Restaurant at Coronation Plaza.

Immediately after the dinner, the couple siamed. The rest of us went for a walk along New Bridge Road. Don't know why, but I suddenly felt super drained. Maybe because it's so crowded that I can only see from outside? Well, not much to see also. Lots of eateries selling China food, patronized by people from China. Tourist-oriented shops. Smokers on the streets were a huge turn-off.

Sister went off to meet her friend. Waited for Mother to come back from toilet. By now, I just wanted to go home. We walked along Pagoda Street, saw more tourists traps that hadn't changed much since the last time I saw them, and ended at South Bridge Road, near Sri Mariamman Temple. Less chaotic here. We managed to hail a cab and I got my much-needed shut-eye.

No comments: