Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hi MP

Get off my ass and act NOW!

Carrying out the last resort - appeal through my MP. My parents were convinced it would be in vain. I agree, but it's still worth a try when $40k is at stake.

When was the last time I attended a meet-the-people session? When I was still in primary school I think. Did "meet-the-people" originally set out to be a complain session or did it evolve into one? Don't think anybody really comes to chitchat with the MP right? 无事不登三宝殿.

I got a hint of the popularity of the event when I saw people waiting outside the room. Upon entering, the seats were fully-occupied with some standing at the back of the room. Wow so many people got problem huh.

Long wait ahead.

Took a number. The tablet entertained me. Boredom was scarier than looking rich.

My turn. Registered myself. Was ushered to a room immediately. The benefits of being in a wheelchair!

The room had cubicles.

Of course I was meeting no MP. The guy is a volunteer. Told him my problem. But he was more interested in how I made it through my main door. He told me about a fund that I can tap on to retrofit my home to make it safer. There is also a lift can be installed at the doorstep instead of using the ramp that was too steep. The lift doesn't sound very ideal as the rest of my family probably wouldn't bother to use it, causing them to have to step up.

Back to the topic. The problems of the sandwich class and being made to pay the full cost because I only got to know the cost at the end of everything. He sounded like he understood and was sincerely keen in helping (or a pro at looking sympathetic...). And so he wrote a "strongly-worded" appeal to CPF, electronically. Not sure if it's an email or electronic submission, but it's still pretty impressive since I was expecting to be handed a letter XD So I'm the low-tech one here.

Now at least I did something.

No comments: