Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mid-Autumn Sin Festival

Last year, I didn't buy any fanciful mooncakes. This year, I almost didn't too, if I had not pia-ed finish my work by afternoon of the last Sunday before Mid-Autumn Festival.

My siblings and I descended upon where all mooncake hunters in Singapore has converged - Takashimaya. Super crowded, could hardly move. So many hotels! Managed to taste some mooncakes fragments, the size of my pinkie's nail. Is superior cutting skills a job requirement for manning mooncake counters?

Some hotels have sold out, like Goodwood Park, no chance to eat.

There's a brand whose core business is mochi, but has ventured into mooncakes this year. Their snowskin tastes like... mochi. How can lidat? Tsk tsk.

I'm more keen on snowskin mooncakes as I believe my parents will buy the traditional baked-skin from neighbourhood bakeries. And my brother koped a box of branded mooncakes from various hotels hohoho.

After comparing prices, wanted to go taste 美心月饼 for a final decision, but stopped at 香港大班冰皮月饼 booth since it's not so crowded. The black sesame is not bad. Decided to get it since it's less than $40 for 8 different fanciful flavors. It's supposedly blast-frozen at -18°C, but of what concern is it to me when it's going to sit in my home freezer at the end of the day? The sales assistant opened up the box for us to inspect the mooncakes before packing it into a cooler bag. Nice! Don't have to go home immediately!

Ok done with mooncake shopping! No more! $40 this year, not as much as I had expected.

After that was dinner and after that, we went to Raffles City, where we found yet another mooncake fair, albeit EMPTY! It was getting late and many of the booths have closed for the day also lah. Got to taste more mooncakes. Mmm~

Explored the building a bit, and came across Swissotel The Stamford, Sze Chuan Court Restaurant's booth, empty as well. We very boey paiseh, still go and taste although I had totally no intention of buying. Tasted ALL their flavors! Haha!

Champagne Truffle & Chocolate Ganache - Couldn't taste the champagne ley. And I don't really fancy white chocolate with nothing much to contrast its taste (to prevent me from thinking it's just vanilla).

Strawberry & Dark Chocolate - Sweet-smelling and tasting strawberry, but somehow I thought chocolate and lotus paste don't belong together.

Baileys Chocolate - Where's the Baileys? Better to pour my own Baileys over some other mooncake.

Rum & Raisin Chocolate Truffle - Nice! Not too sweet, with a rum-flavored raisin to offer some contrast.

After eating and saying it's nice, what's next? Walk away? >.< Sis wanted to get it, but I didn't really want to, so I proposed splitting the bill. Actually didn't really expect her to pay lah. The mooncakes cost $46, but the good news was there's 15% discount for Citibank. The bad news was haven't count GST yet. Final bill was $41.84, only slightly more expensive than 大班!

The 8 different flavors of 大班. The funny flavors means XX mixed with mung bean paste aka 绿豆蓉. I thought what special bean lor, green bean nia.

Cut open the mooncake... this is the mung bean-only flavor.

The Swissotel mooncake box. There's a removable mirror and stand on the box. Can't see clearly one lah.

The white mooncakes. White lotus paste, white chocolate shell and raisins.

Cut up. Seriously, how did those sales assistants do a clean cut?

This year, the Swissotel mooncakes are the best! The skin is more chewy than 大班's. Flavor wise, it's more exotic than 大班, which is more of the fun factor.

For traditional baked-skin mooncakes, I realized branded ones really do taste better than neighbourhood bakeries'. I could munch on them without feeling 腻, which is actually the reason why I only liked mooncake skin in the past. It's less oily (you should look at the oil seeping through the skin of brandless mooncakes), less sweet and smoother. So next year should kop more back!

The main office sent boxes of mooncakes and boxes to us for giving away to our customers. And not even 1 mooncake for us. Sooooo sad :(

After so many years of indoor-only activity (i.e eat mooncakes only), this year I went to Bishan Park to breathe polluted air! Watched those kids throw sparklers into the pond, make fires and explosions, lanterns burn up... while eating mooncakes brought in the 大班 cooler bag and drinking softdrinks. Pure sin! Before that, I had Thai Express green curry laksa for dinner :X

No comments: