Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Certified!

The blur, lazy programmer is finally a Sun Certified Java Programmer!

As previously posted, I originally resolved to get my certification before I got -argh-, but the planned got shelved because there was no crisis. So I slacked and studied on-off, never intensively, thus it my skills never seemed to improve.


The final push came when my exam voucher was approaching expiry. We are talking about $266.70. Unfortunately, I have been very busy of late, OT-ing almost daily and obviously not in the mood to study after I got home. Left with no choice, I booked my exam for the very last valid day. *the power of procrastination*

So it's more intensive studying than usual for 3 weeks. I bought my exam during a promotion where I can retake once for free should I fail, but it would be more convenient to pass it at the first sitting, right? No movies! Cannot watch my new Jap drama! T_T

I was primarily practising at the JavaRanch Rule Round-up Game, where I should be scoring 100% before attempting the exam. Horrors of horrors, I was scoring like 60% or worse consistently. I seriously suck at modifiers, classes, interfaces, inheritance, threads... Aiyah sibeh jialat lah. It's like I'll still fail CS1101 now, and that I've learnt nothing during my years of work. So demoralizing. Practised repeatedly, until I sort of memorized some answers and starting scoring 100% more often. Moved on to a 45-page Word document of practice questions I compiled when I was last enthusiastic about it. Only had time to go through half of it.

The big day came. I took annual leave instead of exam leave because I didn't want anyone to ask me about it. Like, what if I failed? So paiseh right!

My test centre was NTUC CertCentre@International Plaza. Took my sister's precious Nike jacket along as I recalled almost freezing to death doing an interview test 3 years ago. The staff is friendly and helpful. They have colored CCTV! Wa seriously, no cheating! There's even a switch on the table to buzz the staff to come in. I settled down, familiarized myself with the exam format (my FIRST time seeing the format *blush*) and off I went.

Time whizzed by and it was over. I decided to be kind and fill up a feedback questionnaire, which had odd questions like how I found the temperature of the room. Can change meh? Light a fire? I know can change a test centre, but I doubt they would go to that extent. I received my result slip at the reception (yes, it's instant) and went back to work. Yeah, although I was officially on leave. I didn't want to be accused of slipping the project schedule. Haven't looked at my results yet. Shall save it for later, when I get home.


Yeah my result. What if my boss ask me how come just pass only? *stress* Glad that it's over, and I didn't waste my money lah.

No comments: