Sunday, April 22, 2007

Credit Card Shopping

A family factor pushed me to seriously think about getting another credit card. Been lemming for UOB or Citibank, but for the longest time, UOB has no welcome gifts and Citibank was under the delusion that a facial and having to go through a potential barrage of package hardselling and a free iron (the kind for clothes) was attractive. I went to their websites again. As usual, UOB is acting dao1. Citibank finally wake up their idea! 3 years waiver and $100 Tivoli voucher! I know can just call to waive one lah, but I lazy mah. I also know when they give $100 voucher, it means you cannot get anything for $100. Get the cheapest item lor, better than an iron right? Mustafa sell so cheap only. Still got coffee voucher if I sign up for the biometric payment! Can link all my bills to Citibank! Can pay the credit card bill by GIRO! Ok Citibank!

Now the question is which card to get.

Clear Platinum (CP)

It's oh-so-pretty, on the picture at least. 5X rewards points with certain merchants, with the unfortunate being that there's very few of them.

No supplementary cards.

Dividend Platinum (DP)

Cash rebate just for spending. 5% rebates for petrol! The downside is a minimum payout of $50, every quarter. If I have only $49.99 by the 3rd month, sorry ah, please wait 3 more months. Eeks.

EMV enabled. It's a global standard for chip-based debit and credit transactions, supposed to make it more secured.

The card is plain, even uncle-ish. Unglam like my gim-gim HSBC.

Supplementary cards available. There's a promotion of 1 year waiver now.

DP: You know from experience, you always charge $0 to your own card. It's the supp cards doing the spending.
CP: I got 5X rewards.
DP: I got rebates!
CP: The rewards merchants got er, Coffee Club and Cartel! Your rebates ah, dunno when can make it!
DP: You know how many times a year you actually go Coffee Club and Cartel or not? 2 nia?
CP: ... I'm PRETTY!
DP: I got EMV, you ley? Don't even know have or not, never say!
CP: I'm PRETTY!
DP: ¬_¬"

So I applied for both. No need to think.

The Citibank exchange rate is $5 for 1 reward point. HSBC is 1-1. Crystal Jade $20 voucher is 3800 points on HSBC, 1000 Citi Dollars. :\

No comments: