Originally wanted to go try the ramen at Cuppage Plaza, but later I thought I shouldn't be so cheapskate lah... he had it before also. And it's centralised, so I can have it any other time.
Looked around the HSBC website... 1-for-1 deals! Cream Bistro looks good... but it's the usual western stuff, nothing interesting. The Cathay Restaurant... oops too expensive. Six-course set menu at S$68+++ per person --> SIAO! Cannot lah, wait till I qualify for platinum card first. Menotti Italian food... good location @ Raffles City! Went to it's homepage, for the menu but another outlet under the same group caught my eye instead. Riciotti Italian Deli & Pastry. Desserts! Got main course too! Affordable even if HSBC bluff me got 1-for-1! Never eat before! Ok pass!
Got into a Merc cab and said we wanted to go to Riverwalk. The driver asked where we wanted to drop, at taxi stand or Merchant Court? I was confused as I didn't recall seeing Merchant Court anywhere near it on the street directory. Maybe I blur. So taxi stand lor. We dropped off and... couldn't find Riciotti. I saw Liang Court and thought something was wrong. If I remember correctly, it should be quite far away. We were confirmed to be at the wrong place upon seeing Central Mall on the same street. We dropped at Riverside Point. O well. Took bus 11 to our destination and passed by many Jumbo Seafood outlets. Seriously trying to project itself as the choice seafood in Singapore to the angmohs.
Riciotti was not crowded at all, despite a weekend. Nice deco, full of wines and other products on the walls. Desserts and gelato are on display to entice the weak. I checked with the waiter and to my disappointment, only got 1-for-1 for UOB. Sian. Stupid bank bluff me. I should get a UOB. Ordered a set lunch, Agnello, Torino hot chocolate and a mango tea. 2 main courses for 3 people. The shortfall will be made up with desserts :D~~
Set lunch
- Linguine with a creamy sauce. There's a proper name for this dish lah, but forgot already. The serving is quite small, BUT the sauce is incredibly cheesy and creamy! Not tasteless like elsewhere. The sugar crystals-coated cheese shavings are something new.
- The tea came in a pot, served with steamed milk. Dilmah tea, red tag. I think it's English breakfast tea.
- Dessert - coming soon
Agnello
Lamb shank with mash potatoes and mint (don't know where the mint was, couldn't taste it). It's like the lamb stew from Secret Receipe. SR's lamb drowns in the gravy, making you want to eat a spoonful of gravy with each mouthful. Ri's gravy is modest and lighter, but the lamb is still juicy on its own. The mash potatoes are buttery and fragrant. The bone marrow still looks delectable, but too bad I don't feel comfortable eating it generally.
Torino hot chocolate
99% of chocolate beverages sold outside taste like diluted milo. Seeing this is an Italian restaurant with proper-looking desserts, I decided to give them a chance. I was delighted when it was served as concentrated chocolate (stir the powder in a little milk to form a sticky lump) in a cup and a jug of frothed milk. Yes that's the way man! My sister tried to make latte art but you can guess the outcome.
The only other place selling qualified chocolate that I know of, is Spinelli.
Mango tea
Came in a pot. It's just infusion tea lor, can get from the supermarket to try yourself. I'm not so into such teas.
Next was to choose the desserts. My sister spotted a cake with a broken top, called Soffiato. Its clones looked the same so it should be no accident. A check with the waiter confirmed that it was the cake that oozes chocolate when you cut it. She's dying to try that! But we never knew that the chocolate has to be poured in through a hole probably with an instruction "insert chocolate here". Haha!
I thought this golden cake looked delicious. The waiter said it has a mocha centre. The Morbida, I shall get.
They covered up the gap with icing. Comes with a scoop of ice-cream. Not gelato, unfortunately.
When taken out of the display, it looked greenish. O well.As I bore deeper into my golden-turned-green mousse (it's not a cake), I encountered a hard centre. Not wanting to have my money dart across the restaurant, I got my sister to cut it open with a
I was sugar and chocolate overloaded halfway through the desserts. I still had my chocolate drink. But they are all too nice to waste :D~~~
Surprise #2 - They charged the more expensive dessert to the set!
Overall: 美味しい! Affordable! Recommended!
Next stop was Central Mall. Not fully opened yet. A LOT of Japanese restaurants. Many clothes there, but not in clothes-shopping mood. Wanted to get earrings since I haven't gotten any for the past 1 1/3 years, quite a feat. And perhaps a necklace too. As usual, the earrings were too cheap for my expensive ears. And don't know how to choose necklace.
Before leaving, I decided to just take a look at Girl's Talk! at level 1. Lots of not-cheap-looking earrings, but they were stainless steel. Not sure if I can wear them. I was directed to a small section of silver. More expensive-looking, with a corresponding pricetag. Up my budget lor...
Next stop, AMK Hub. The NTUC Xtra sells live seafood. Joined the crowd to watch a worker catch prawns. Many shops! Looks like a good place to go shopping. Finally AMK is happening! As it was evening, snaking queues formed outside all restaurants. Even this odd prata shop. People were just queuing to take-away.
Met my brother and his friends for dinner. Went to Ramen Ten at Jubilee. Please don't ever go there. The soup is add milk one. Eeks. At least it's not MSG-laden. Cheap at $65.25 for 5 people with 2 side dishes and no GST, and that's about it.
Then my first time drinking MOS burger teh-peng. Good!
Then... go home.
No comments:
Post a Comment