Friday, October 06, 2006

Souvenirs

At the start of June, before an ex-colleague went on long leave, he cleared his table and moved some of his stuff to my table. None of them were useful to me.

  • 1 Garfield movie poster, riddled with fold lines (I'm not a poster person)

  • 2 plastic Singapore flag from NDP2005 (1 his, 1 left behind by another ex-colleague. I've already thrown away mine *oops*)

  • 1 high-density stone that was supposed to ward off bad things (But I don't believe in such things...)

  • 2 toy tortoises (Cutesy stuff don't appeal to me)

  • 1 doggie stuffed toy still in plastic wrapper (Cutesy stuff don't appeal to me)

  • 1 HK10 note (He said whenever we travel to a place, we should bring back a note from that place to keep. So why is he giving it to me when I've never been to HK? He just said he wanted to give it to me.)

  • 1 picture of a bulldog-like dog, printed using B&W laser printer (For what?)

  • 1 picture of some dharma message, printed using B&W laser printer (I'm no Buddhist)

  • 1 Ginvera face wash (Steered clear of Ginvera after it peeled my nose bad and left scars)

  • 1 1/4 eaten container of vegetarian meat floss (I DETEST mock meat. He made me sample some to prove that it's nice. It's TOO SALTY)

He tried to give me the Chinese tea left behind by another ex-colleague but I absolutely refused to accept it because I'm a pantry on my own.

All these in addition to an ornament of a Chinese couple getting married left behind by the previous occupant of my table. I was happy to let it rot in my cabinet, but he insisted on displaying it in the open to complement the items he gave me.

My barren table suddenly became livlier.

Well I had no problem with his stuff taking up my space because I'm not like the important people who always have things to file, the stuff were not getting in the way, they did not look annoying and he is still considered a nice guy. I agreed to rent the space to him. He would have to take the stuff back when/if he returns.

What I didn't like was that I felt like a dumping ground for things he didn't want to throw away himself. Some of the stuff are left behind by another person somemore! Those thing don't qualify as 传家之宝 lor! I told him I would throw them away if they got in the way and he replied that it's up to me, because they were mine. WTF! Now I had to waste my strength when he could have just put them into the waste basket instead of moving them to my table?

Of course I didn't want to strain myself. Neither did I want to ask for help to remove them to avoid being seen as heartless. For the days those things were there, I neither touched nor played with them. Only passers-by did so, intentionally or unintentionally (knocked them over).

On my last week of work, I started clearing my table. At first, I planned to ask around if anybody wanted those things, but perhaps I shouldn't do the same thing to the others... I threw out the things within reach and that nobody would want for sure - the face wash and meat floss.

On my last day of work, when I announced that I was done packing, people asked why I wasn't bringing those things back as souvenirs. I told them I had no space for them at home. Sounds incredible to most people, but my table is only big enough for my keyboard and I have absolutely ZERO ornaments belonging to me on display. If there is any, I wasn't the one who wanted to display them.

Display them at my new table? Eh that means still need to bring home right? That stone so f***ing heavy you know? I wanna go out for dinner ley, cannot bring so many bulky items along lah!

I've never considered them mine.

I know he gave them to me. I made it clear that I'm not bringing them with me. My home cannot hold anymore things. I could give everything to them if they wanted. They could take whatever they fancy. Maybe the HK10 if they wanna go HK.

Nobody took anything of course. See, I'm not being heartless at all.

I have no obligation to keep everything people give me. OMG I didn't even take the money.

I asked my neighbour to ask the cleaner auntie to help clear my table on the next working day.

No comments: