28 September, The Lie
The HR was damn difficult to get. Phone forever busy.
I finally got through in the afternoon. She told me that the management was ok with 2.7, but I still had to tell her about my imaginary offer of 2.9 and asking how much they can match, since I understand that it might be a bit high. She helped me analyze my offers, like location (yours sucks!), people (similar), job scope (similar)... anyway I tried to make it sound like the difference was $200 more for a better job location, so they should offer me more to make it sensible to take up.
At about 4pm, I got good news. But I still tried to play hard to get, saying it's a difference of $100 and job location.
At 5pm, I finally decided that I should still go for the SutarHarp interview since it would be easier to stick to plans than to change them. Anyway 5pm already, dunno if it'll be too late to fly plane. Wait I get blacklisted, how?
At 6pm, it suddenly struck me that I did not want to go out of the house specially to sign the contract next Monday when I'll could do it tomorrow. Immediately, I called the HR to accept the offer verbally.
29 September, The End Came, And a New Beginning Inked
In the morning, I went to SutarHarp.
When I was talking about my past experience, I was surprised when I got asked how many people were retrenched. I thought they wanted to know if it's because I was inapt, so I said it was inconvenient for me to reveal because all I knew was hearsay.
Next they asked if it's true that my company is going to be acquired.
IS IT??? First time I heard about it ley! It dawned upon me that they were fishing for information from me. I said I did not have official news.
I was totally uninterested in that position. I admit I was half-hearted, but the job scope was not my cup of tea either. First of all, the job scope sounds like that of a system analyst's and it's a contract position. The kind that has no guarantee of extension or conversion at the end. Sounds sucky. I told the interviewers straight that it was not suitable for me.
I went to my farewell lunch. Sakura oysters are quite edible, surprisingly. I was happy that I had something to say when my colleagues asked where I was going. I guess I would sound too pathetic if I hadn't managed to secure a new job. Ass See Ass is really timely, I must say. I confirmed with my colleagues about the acquisation. Indeed, the GM has revealed during the meeting that I wasn't allowed to go, that some companies are looking at it, but nothing is confirmed yet. The future is really bleak with no major tenders coming up.
The rest of the afternoon was spent packing files (electronic, not physical), writing farewell email and going over to sign my life to my new company.
After I had signed, I received 2 invitations to interview from Estee Ee and Geh Geh Hospital. Too late!
Followed by a yummy dinner!
The conclusion is that I'm happy to be retrenched. I think I'm lucky to be chosen. Although I don't know the criteria and nobody else seems to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment