Friday, October 02, 2015

Supplements on a Budget

When I saw my neurologist this year, he wanted to start me on "nerve vitamins", so he prescribed them to me.

I was dismayed to find a massive queue at the pharmacy. I should have known better - late morning is the peak hour. And I'm in a hurry to meet my friend for lunch!

Let's try to get express queue...

Pharmacist at the counter not auto ley. Screw it, I shall get it another day. I asked the pharmacist to give me the name of the item. It's Neurogen-E. I was told it's sold in the retail pharmacy as well. Is it... let me scout for it outside first.

Once again, I abused my access and was shocked to find that Neurogen-E is 61 cents each! And it's not subsidized as it's a retail item. Waa this doctor really anyhow! He is still clueless about money! I set on a mission to get the same for less.

As usual, iHerb is my go-to for supplements.

First, let's find out what's in Neurogen-E.

Ok, got it!

First, I tried to find a single product with at least the same components, but quickly gave up. The exact match doesn't exist. The closest match are multi-vitamin that contain a tonne of other stuff and hence too expensive.

O well, back to the drawing board. The easiest is to get the vitamins individually.

Solgar, Vitamin E, 100 IU, 100 Softgels
USD6.80
Just nice, 100IU! I chose Solgar because the type of vitamin E is the same as Neurogen-E and seemed to be considered a good form of. Secondly, it uses safflower oil, which contains monounsaturated fatty acid. Others may use soybean oil, which I'm not sure if it has been hydrogenated. Other choices simply contained too much more vitamin E - like 400IU.

I'm not sure how Neurogen-E got their vitamin E into a pill? We know vitamin E is fat-soluble. But I will still rather swallow a capsule of oil in order to save some money hahaha.


21st Century Health Care, B-1, 100 mg, 110 Tablets
USD2.12
Cheap lor, no other reason, hahaha. But I have to eat 3 tablets.


21st Century Health Care, B-6, 100 mg, 110 Tablets
USD3.54
Again, it's the cheapest around.


Wow, 1mg of vitamin B-12?
Jarrow Formulas, Methyl B-12, Lemon Flavor, 1000 mcg, 100 Lozenges
USD6.24
Due to Mother's complaint about Now Foods' dissolving in air moisture and having no taste, I got this to try out.

Cool! It didn't dissolve and didn't taste disgusting. Shall get this for Mother too, next time.

In all, my formulation costs 29 cents per dose! You may argue that I am consuming more fillers and more rubbish for my liver to process, but, to each her own. It's almost half price and delivered to my home!

But I must say, the vitamin Bs made my urine really stinky. I will consider switching brand.


Badger Company, Anti-Bug Balm, Citronella & Rosemary, 2 oz (56 g)
USD8.99
I bought it because there are so many raves about it. Since the Tiger Balm mosquito patch works, I figured this would too, and for less.

New and nice!
Yup, it did work! The balm helps with the itchiness too, double function!

Rusty...
10 months on, the container rusted :(

Bought Mother's Now Foods, Glucosamine & MSM, Vegetarian, 240 Vcaps since it went missing last round. It's more expensive due to the stronger USD. Sighhh.

Bare Fruit, Crunchy Fuji Red Apple Chips, 2.2 oz (63 g)
USD2.81
Bare Fruit, Crunchy Cinnamon Apple Chips, 2.2 oz (63 g)
And other stuff to make up for free shipping. They just taste like apple chips lor.

No comments: