On 8th November. I was informed by my PM that I will be switching to another team with immediate effect, to help develop a portion of the AiFalm application because they are seriously shorthanded. It didn't sound like I have a choice, so ok lor.
The AiFalm PM came to talk to me. It's a VB6 project, using MSSQL, and I'm not familiar with both of them. They asked if I'm ok with it and I expressed my concerns, although I knew it wouldn't change anything. Because he must have discussed and decided with my ex-project's PM. So kinda of no point asking me huh? They also warned me that this project involves a lot of OT as well as weekends, but off-days will be given.
My task was to write an interface to process messages sent by the hospital. I was given documentation of other hospitals (that have already been done) to read up as mine will be similar. A senior promised to help me install Visual Studio, check out the codes and explain them to me the next day.
The next day came but he didn't come. Funny, take 1 cd take so long meh? I didn't remind him as I thought it wasn't very nice to remind him and imply that I thought he wasn't coming. Anyway I had documentation to read and figure out, as well as intermittent internet surfing.
In the afternoon, he came to ask what time I would be leaving. That must be answered with caution because I know they OT till at least 8.45pm (my own record to date) everyday. So I answered between 6.30-7pm. I can't possibly stay back just to install a program right? What if I stayed back and he didn't install?
I left at 6 sharp because I didn't want to wait another 30min to see if he might be available. Seemed like I wouldn't be coming back this weekend for the same purpose too.
The next Monday, nothing happened too. I tried to stuff the dry, chim documentation down my throat, but I was too bored dead to go on any further, and I thought he should have found the installation cd by now even if it were hidden at the innermost corner of the cabinet, so at 3pm, I emailed that person to remind him to do whatever he promised to, when available (so as not to sound demanding when I'm actually demanding). Sure enough, he came within the next 10min. Yay!
He tried to check out the source codes, but couldn't connect to VSS. He said he would find out how to, and walked away.
I thought he would come back in a few minutes, but he didn't. The day passed.
The next day (Tuesday), I really DIDN'T WANT to read the documentation anymore and I was getting worried about the deadline, which I didn't know when yet. I must try to connect to VSS on my own since he didn't seem to be trying to help me. Wait for him? Hah! I had seen my colleague do something similar for me on my first day, so using my photographic memory (actually I think I don't have such a skill), I overcame my lack of skills in connectivity (I'm back at connecting wires, networks, how to link different modules in an application etc) to repeat the steps and TADA! I did it! See? Faster than waiting for him!
I happily emailed him to announce my success. It took me 1hr to realise my mistake.
I did not ask him to come and help me do whatever he's supposed to do.
So I had to do the demanding again. He replied ok.
At 3pm, he came to help me check out the codes, but he realised I couldn't open them because I needed to install Visual Studio. Duh! The installation has been in his to-do package all along what! He told me to ask the System Admin for the installation.
*Faint* So another guy is holding the installation, not him? Then say so earlier mah!
I emailed the System Admin (and cc the senior) for the installation. The System Admin replied that there was no more license. I expected a response from the senior, but there was none after 45min. From what has happened since Friday, I concluded that he wasn't going to do anything about it, although that was the whole point of me cc-ing him. No installation, no work. Surely it would take someone more than a junior to overcome a licensing issue?
I emailed to the senior, "Any alternative?". And within minutes, he replied that he would help me find a way. So I was right about him having read the email and doing nothing about it.
I bumped into the PM later and told him about the problem. He told the System Admin "don't care" and the licensing issue was a no more.
At last! I got my codes and program. Only the explanation was outstanding. But nevermind! I read myself first so I wouldn't sound like an idiot when asking questions.
The next day (Wednesday) was spent understanding that chim lump of confusing code.
The next day (Thursday), I emailed the leader to ask for his time to explain the codes to me. As expected, nothing happened for the whole day. Only at the end of the day as I was leaving, he stopped me to say that he isn't an expert at that and suggested that I ask another person, Ad.
I don't understand why he took 1 whole day to tell me that he doesn't know.
Ad wasn't in on Friday. In fact, I think he was in only for 1/2 day for that week. Nothing much done again.
When the real action starts, I'll be so, so, so dead.
2 comments:
It's no wonder that a system developed by such an "enthu" and "responsible" bunch of pple keeps failing when used in the hospitals. Jie, wish u best of luck in this project..bleah.
Why does your team sounds like a patchwork of idiots which is somewhat dyfunctional ? The senior sounds like a lost sheep and where is the team lead ? This sounds like another disaster waiting to happen.
Since it is going to sink anyway, just stay for OT and grab as much as you can before the thing imploded in the end
Post a Comment