Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Taobao Review: (Fake) Clarisonic Mia 2

This item deserves a review of its own.

So sick of seeing my pores still clogged with oil immediately after washing my face. There must be a way of getting all that gunk out.

Wanna buy this!
Clarisonic Mia 2, $220 @ Sephora

Sonic vibrations are gentle, yet effective in dislodging dirt from the skin. That's the claim of course, but I could imagine some truth in it. However, I wasn't prepared to shell out that amount of moolah. There must be a similar machine for less.

Checked out Qoo10 and found a Korean item with a similar concept.
TOSOWOONG Spin 4D Vibration PORE BRUSH, ~$40 @ Qoo10.

I tried using my Oral-B Vitality toothbrush, but it was too harsh and left my skin all red. Hence I was convinced that Tosowoong's spin action will be too harsh too. In fact, others out there all spin. I didn't like it that it's not waterproof because you it's battery-operated. Moreover, there were a number of complaints about the brush malfunctioning in just a couple of weeks.

I looked to Taobao. Boy, was I excited to find it for a fraction of the price!
美国代购正品 clarisonic mia2代 科莱丽 洗脸刷洁面刷 洗脸神器 from 陈鑫航01
¥458, free local delivery. S$108.06 after conversion
Despite its claim to be a "美国代购", I'm certain that it wasn't, coz there's no way of getting it this cheap from USA. I scrutinized the comments. Some said they brought it to China's Sephora, where the sales assistant declared it to be genuine. Most of them were happy with the purchase. I bought into it, fully aware that it could be a fake, OEM, factory reject or whatever and I will have no recourse should it malfunction.

My baby arrived in a torn box. Well... the box looks genuine. The contents tally with the official website. Face wash, manual, travel case, charger, brush and default sensitive brush head, all look genuine. I turned my attention to the serial number at the bottom of the machine. I tried to register it at Clarisonic's website, but was unsuccessful. Googled the serial number and discovered that it was known as a fake serial number. Darn. My heart sank.

Nevertheless, the machine worked beautifully. It even managed to charge. No explosion or fire. Had to use a China converter though. Each charge lasted approximately 8 or 9 days.

What to make of it? If not for the serial number, I would have believed it was genuine. OEM? High-grade imitation?

I thought the brush head was pretty hard for a sensitive brush head. It didn't clear the gunk in my pores completely, but it was indeed cleaner lah. Needed to use more face wash for washing. I suffered from the purging that some users had to go through. Hope this is just a passing phase!

At the third charge, which was approaching the fourth week of use, it suddenly couldn't be charged anymore. I wasn't sure if it was because Brother threw the magnetic charger and it landed with a thud. Or that the machine was plain flimsy. I have read about similar complaints for the genuine machine, which Clarisonic promptly fixed. For me, it was the end of the road.

In a last-ditch attempt, I allowed Father to perform surgery on it. Alas, he couldn't fix it. He said it's something with the machine's battery. Whatever.

So, I got Father to gut the machine so that it was lighter for me to handle manually. Yup, got to vibrate using my own hands.

I tried the face wash. Good ley. Cleans well without leaving a feeling of tightness. My only gripe is that it's too fluid and Mother complained about me taking too long to get the necessary amount from the tube.

If I have bought the item myself, I would have left a negative feedback, primarily for misrepresenting it as a genuine and having the cheek to charge so much for it. I could have told Nanyanglife about it, but it's logical that he would rather leave a positive feedback for the seller so as to better his own reputation.

Lesson learned.
Do not buy anything online that might require servicing overseas, even if it's genuine.
Do not buy anything online that is too expensive, because even if returns are entertained, I will have to send them back at my own cost. And I don't know how refunds are being handled.
Buyer beware! 陈鑫航01 SELLS FAKES ON TAOBAO!

No comments: