Thursday, May 05, 2011

I Don't Friend You!

N would rather accompany me alone to the toilet than to ask S to come along. She even asked me not to ask her to come together anymore, referring her as "that person". O ya... this morning, S also didn't come and disturb N before going to the pantry as she always did. Curious, but didn't want to probe. N will tell me if she wanted to.

I didn't have to wait long to find out why. N had to tell me herself XD

Yesterday evening, N, S, J and P were on the bus home. They were all standing and when the bus jerked, N accidentally stepped on S's foot. S playfully stepped back. So they started taking turns stepping on each other when S blew her top all of a sudden, shouting at N at top volume.

"YOU THINK IT IS VERY FUN IS IT? STEPPING ON PEOPLE?"

J, P and N were stunned. N was taken aback at the sudden change of mood. The normally docile S, getting so mad? I should have seen how she was glaring at N, her eyes wide, round and fierce. N apologized, but S ignored her. Unable to stay no longer, N alighted at the next stop.

N felt very humiliated. If S didn't want to play anymore, she could have told her instead of playing along and sending wrong signals. N had treated S as her best friend in office, yet it wasn't mutual. What was all the previous goofing and poking fun about then? N was devastated. She couldn't speak to such an unreasonable person anymore. She saw no need to apologize too. Instead, S should be the one apologizing.

Sounded like some lover breakup hor? Unintentional...

Ah, now I'm entitled to the other side of the story. J's the perfect source.

J's version was largely the same. Just some details, like how N didn't hold on to something properly when the bus was so crowded. Taking a joke too far and not knowing when to stop. J had to defuse the awkwardness after S's outburst by saying... something I forgot. After N alighted, S complained to J.

So S was not remorseful at all lah. Why is there still such primary school tiffs going on now?? You step me, I step back, not happy then don't friend each other? Wakao! Although N didn't bar me from speaking to S, still, it'll be awkward.

The incident had badly impacted N. She has been thinking about their friendship and couldn't fathom what went wrong. Our lunch group was fractured into 2 as a result. J with S and I felt obliged to stay with N. Sigh.

For one thing, J was right about not N not knowing when to stop her jokes. N had been teased S about "this guy" on and off, about how S has been looking at him, him looking at her, whether she missed him now that he's gone blah blah blah. S would be teased mercilessly during each of the episodes and she would hit N in retaliation, albeit playfully. It would go on and on, until even I myself was tired of eavesdropping and wondered how S could tolerate it. And I still couldn't figure out who the guy was and whether he's the same person.

And so N and S neither spoke to nor as much as looked at each other ever since. Heng they were not doing the same project.

No comments: