Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mapletree the Bloodsucker

When my father came to pick me up this evening, he said that we would have to pay to enter the carpark from now onwards.

How Mapletree went all out to earn $1.30 from a poor IT worker
Earlier, they shifted the carpark barrier to the carpark and loading bay entrance, but there was still ample space for my father's bike to pass through.

A few days ago, they installed poles at the gap, but my father's bike could still pass between them.

This afternoon, they put a chain across the poles.

There was no grace period. The charge is 65 cents per entry. Effectively, I would be paying $1.30 daily for drop off and pickup. More expensive than a day of parking.

Why did they need to do this when there was never any congestion in the carpark? Neither was there a problem of people taking advantage of the free bike parking.

I feel targeted.

So why am I using the carpark for pickup and drop off when there's a proper drop off point at the entrance of the building?

The ramp is unfit for handicapped usage.
1) The handlebars are so fat that they are for hugging, not grabbing. Maybe they should be renamed handle "trunks".
2) The handlebars are so freaking dusty that I don't want to touch them. It wouldn't help even if I do; my hands would slide off them.
3) The floor is so dusty that I could be dust-skiing if not for my trusty Scholl shoes.
4) The ramp is open-air. I'm ok with being unshaded from the blazing tropical sun and scalding my hands on the railing made from a heat conductor. But I'm not ok with having to walk in the pouring rain with more water pouring down the slope than an average level floor. It's a life hazard.
5) The problem does not stop when the rain is over. The water at the turn of the ramp takes ages to dry and before it does, the sky pours again.
6) Late at night, the ramp is unlit. Plus the coat of dust, I really can't see where I'm putting my foot.

Actually, even if all the above flaws are resolved, I would still not use the ramp.
1) Walking up a ramp already poses a difficulty to me.
2) I still need my father to walk me up and down, so he would still require parking.

All I could do was to ask the department secretary to help me request for a grace period, or purchase a season ticket if there's any in the first place.

Hey Mapletree, do you know that 2 tiles have popped up and they have been lying on the floor for the longest time?

Seriously!

No comments: