Mellben Seafood
BLK 232 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3
It's the kopitiam right opposite Sheng Siong. Great! I know how to get there! I reached there at 7.10pm and the place was already full, complete with a snaking queue. There were even tables on reservation - in a kopitiam! :O
While it was easy for me, it wasn't so for J and W. The rain made it worse. Didn't matter, it's 东张西望 time.
I was sitting in front of the crab tank. Lively crabs, a sign of health! The crab catcher lady picked up the crabs, weighed them, threw them (talk about animal cruelty) into a basket with the order form and put the basket in the to-cook queue. When the crabs were put on the weighing scale, they tried to crawl away, as if they have discussed it while waiting for their turn. If they did succeed, they would fall to the ground. Ouch.
The crab catcher lady got pricked. I just read about the man who contracted flesh-eating bacteria after getting pricked by a crab.
Photos of the stall with celebrities, signed crab shells decorated the wall. Slurp~
A group of people came to take photos and the stall owners gamely allowed them to. Reporters?
A middle-aged woman next to my table was eating crabs wearing plastic gloves <_< Don't need to do that ba, got wet towel (yes, they give wet towel. I came prepared with wet tissue, but guess no need liao) and toilet 10m away nia! Where got taste if you eat like that?
One of the helpers carrying a stack of plates and bowls said, "Lai, sio ah!" to make people give way. The same old trick people always fall for.
W and J arrived. We ordered crab beehoon, butter crab and fried tofu. The waiting time would be 1hr. It's ok, we can yak. The drink stall helper came to take our orders. 3 Heaven and Earth green tea, which costs $1.20 EACH. Eh this stall thinks it's in Sentosa ah!? That's freaking expensive man! $1.20 for all 3 is more like it! People, this drink stall is a 黑店, don't buy from them!! Should have waited for the crab beehoon's soup!
Fried tofu - Nice! Got seafood inside.
Crab beehoon - The highlight of the day did not disappoint. Coming in a claypot, the soup is thick, flavourful, and best of all, not too salty and there seemed to be little/no MSG since I didn't feel thirsty later. Don't know how to say, very nice lah! The crab is not hollow (haha), but not as tasty as steamed crab as some of the flavour probably leached into the soup. Not to worry, it's not dry and inedible. I could have the whole claypot to myself.
Butter crab - A bit spicy at the beginning, but got used to it. Felt like drinking the gravy, but it's butter... you know... Anyway the crab beehoon soup was more attractive.
All that for $75.
Poor green tea, neglected throughout. Only when I was done, I thought of the $1.20 and gulped it all down.
Ah~~
Damage:
No pix of the food. Had to attack it before it turned cold. Anyway there's plenty on google. 少我一个不少.
By about 9.30pm, the whole tank of crabs was GONE. They even had to refill with another 2 layers of crabs.
Satisfied. Already wanna go again.
No comments:
Post a Comment