Friday, January 01, 2016

Melbourne Day 0 - Bye Singapore

Summary of itinerary: To the airport!

Happy New Year! Today will be spent waiting to fly! Waited for Sister to return from work before we showered and let Mother do the laundry. Had dinner, last-minute packing and we left for the airport in 2 taxis.

The obligatory wad of cash photo
Sister's and I's suitcase
So full when we left! We will be coming back without some of them!

We arrived at about 9.15pm at Changi Airport Terminal 2. Check-in opens 3 hours before the flight. We got to be early, as online check-in wasn't available for people with special needs. The earlier we were, the better our chances of snagging good seats. I thought I still have time to walk around, but apparently not! The counter opened early and a queue formed immediately! The queue was so long sia!

When I was booking our flights on Scoot's website, there was nowhere that I could indicate that I require special assistance. At the FAQ, I was advised to call the call centre at least 3 days in advance. So low-tech can! Sigh, I hate calling! Anyway, I called and the staff said they have noted my request.

When I tried to login to Scoot to check our flights and whether my request has been noted, I realized that I could not login! That warranted another call to the call centre. I remembered some guy with an Australian accent attended to me (not Pinoy... wow), and he reassured that despite the issue and not knowing the reason, everything was in order. Huh... ok...

At check-in, I repeated my request for an aisle wheelchair. REQUIRED TO BOARD THE PLANE TOO OK? Not gonna let the KL fiasco repeat itself. I was allowed to keep my own wheelchair until before boarding, yeah!

Done. Still got time. Drank my last serving of water. Checked out the TIE fighter model nearby. Seemed like Brother was not keen to take me to see the other Star Wars models in other terminals. O well.

Muji items appear more affordable now. At least for their socks. Their travel pillow looks very comfortable, but it's not deflatable... which is why it is more comfortable. Ah.

To the Departure hall then. No trolleys... kept forgetting. Split up with parents. Again, Mother wanted to head straight to the gate. Sister went to look for food. SIL and Brother took photos at the indoor garden while I waited.
Koi pond with a lot of coins! Make-a-wish or hit-the-koi?
SIL wanted to look for Longchamp to check out the prices. Eh, we were not going to France ley, don't think Australia's prices can be any better than Singapore? Nevermind, go see see lah, nothing to do anyway.

SIL checked out the expensive cosmetics... Should I thank MD for making me give up on makeup?

Brother and I decided to grab a bite. I supposed supper's allowed today, as there wouldn't be any food provided during the flight and the next planned meal will be lunch. There's Tip Top! Long time no eat curry puff! No drinks allowed :(
Maybe eating heaty stuff without water was not such a great idea.

Brother and SIL enjoyed the leg massager. Too troublesome for me, too bad.

Last toilet break for me and we went to the gate holding area. We had to be there 1 hour before take-off. We saw parents waiting outside, but they wanted to wait longer. What's the point of being at the gate early, but refusing to enter the holding area early? Because no toilet? Ya weird lor, why no toilet inside?

We were the first few, but a snaking queue promptly formed. Better to be earlier to get over and done with security and snag a seat! And a power socket for charging phone!
Very long never see dot matrix printer and hear the sound it made

When it was nearing boarding time, I was requested to change to the aisle chair so they could stow my wheelchair. My assistant (a.k.a Brother) and I were told to wait at the seats nearest to the gate so that we could board first. Couldn't relax in the seat :(

No comments: