While waiting, it's time for a good look around the places we hadn't explored.
The common area filled with repulsive old Japanese songs the night before.
A swing outside! Long time no play. The dark dark place was the kitchenette. I think there's a washing machine too, but no time for free wash.The lady boss was from Taipei, but come to Jiaoxi for a quieter and slower pace of life. She bought the land and built this house. Near town, mountains right behind, fresh air, soak hotspring everyday... wa... sounds perfect lor. She felt her health has improved already.
Ulu places may be good for health, but I think I'm hooked on the city.
I couldn't bring myself to ask if they recycle the hotspring water. Or if the hotspring water and tap water were actually the same.
View of the exterior. How cool to own a house like that!
Garden with newly-planted grass and trees outside.
Boss arrived and we got into his MPV. Bye lady boss!
We got the boss to drop us at a place near the train station, where we could also get breakfast and some local produce easily. Fortunate that a place fitting this criteria existed. But the boss cautioned us that we might not have many choices for breakfast since we were rather late at almost 10am.
Do what tourists do. SHOP!
While we we shopping, a postman rode up the pavement.We couldn't help it. We must get a hugeee bagful of things. Traveling on the train with all that... nah it's just too bad. Besides, we didn't shop in Hualien!
Looking for breakfast, and taking a good look at the Jiaoxi city area.
On the lookout for muah chee, thought there could be some here since Jiaoxi since it's like just next door from Hualien, but there was none in sight! Boohoo! So exclusive!
That's about all for the city centre. Apart from the concentration of hotspring establishments around the train station, all else was quiet and unhappening. Sure this is a city? It's a Monday, where did everybody go? Everything looked old. I think I will definitely die of boredom if I stayed longer than 1 day.
Found our breakfast! During the ride, I learned that Yong He is a franchise. No wonder it's all over Taiwan. And the same is even in Singapore. Sigh, flew all the way to Taiwan to eat something available in Singapore. But Jiaoxi seriously has a lack of food outlets. A consolation is that Yong He is actually out of the way for me back home. My last visit (which was my first, too) was 9 years ago.
While waiting for our food to be prepared, I noticed that the birds flying in the streets are SWALLOWS, how cool was that! Maybe you could find a bird's nest on your rooftop. Unlike Singapore, only got crows all over!
After what seemed like eternity (because we were running late, as usual), our breakfast was finally packed. Chiong to the train station!
But not forgetting to take a good look at the water feature outside the train station. It was all dark the night before and we were hoping our transport wouldn't leave without us after being kept waiting.
But of course we couldn't - we have a train to catch, with 19min more to go. By now, we had already given up on asking for any assistance apart from lift operation since we have managed on our own so far. A staff member walked us to the platform, promising to help us contact Taipei Main Station. He was surprised when he heard that foreigners couldn't book the handicapped seats online. He commented that I shouldn't have booked the tickets online. Just come to the train station and they WILL find us a seat. REALLY? But I don't dare to chut such stunt lah, got itinerary to keep to ley.
Still had a few minutes, do some quick housekeeping!
We wolfed down our breakfast of xiao long bao and pancake too. Sweet soybean milk was easy. Time to try the salty version!
Regret and disgust were all over our faces the moment we broke the bubbletea-style seal. The smell was pungent, resembling vomit. When drunk, it tasted like vomit too. No resemblance to the soybean milk we are so used to. BLEAH!
But being more tolerant of vile-tasting food, I wouldn't toss it yet. Shall savour it on the train.
The train arrived on the dot again. My brother took the handicapped seat as there wasn't an empty one near my sister and I. A staff member noted our destination and promised to get us help once we arrived at Taipei.
Our scenic ride to Taipei began! Yup, the train would travel along the coast instead of through the mountains, making more stops and taking a longer time of 1h 33min. The treat was an extended view of the Pacific Ocean, the rocky beach and waves fiercer than Sentosa's. Spotted several daredevils balancing on those rocks to fish, the waves leaping at their feet constantly. Luckily we chose to sit on the right side of the train! It's a pity my siblings dozed off as soon as they settled down. In case you were wondering, I didn't book this ride for the purpose of sight-seeing...
I was busy admiring the scenery on both sides of the train, but I think the woman next to me on the left side thought I was staring at her. Kept diaoing me! Please lor, who wants to look at you! Ok fine, don't look lor, sea-view better than farmland!
O yes the salty soybean milk. Seriously, they should have given me (I'm the only one left drinking it) one of those big bubbletea straws. There were so many chunks in it - kiam chye (or something like that), you tiao, curdled milk, even prawn shell! Totally not my idea of soybean milk. I thought it's more qualified as a soup, which I later found out that it was normally served in a bowl when dining-in. And it contained vinegar, thus explaining the pungent smell and my brother's dislike for it. There was only a faint hint of the familiar bean taste. It tasted worse when cooled, so I left it alone soon.
The tracks went further from the sea and soon we were traveling through farmland. Just patches of green in different shades, so I slept too.
A problem with the train was that there wasn't a routemap provided on the walls or anywhere. I didn't make it a point to remember the number of stops to Taipei -_-;; The actual route we were taking:
礁溪 -> 頭城 -> 雙溪 -> 瑞芳 -> 八堵 -> 松山 -> 台北
Well, at least I knew that after Songshan, is Taipei. Which the marquee displayed as well XD
Time to jump off the train before it took us to... I don't know the next station. There really was someone to help us, although we declined since we were ok. Someone else on the train needed help too anyway. Before the train took him to... somewhere out there.
No need to search high and low for the Taipei Main Station Metro entrance this time! We remembered our lesson VERY WELL.
When we emerged from Ximen Station, the familiar Cold Stone Creamery was without the familiar long queue! My sister had always wanted to try it, so it's now or never!
Back to Neijiang to drop our stuff. Our room wasn't ready yet, so the receptionist asked us to tie them at the reception again. We took a pee break at the tiny washroom too and by the time we we ready to move, our room was ready. Reload all our perishables into the fridge! And prepare our XXL Heineken for consumption tonight!
On our way to Ximen Metro station, more public display of political affection.
And some people quarreling with the traffic police.
国立中正纪念堂 Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall
Dropped at its namesake Metro station, which was quite deserted.
2pm already, totally off-schedule! But take it easy lah, no train to catch today.
The meaningful 89 steps to represent President Chiang's age at his time of death also meant I was to stay at the bottom with no alternative in sight. Too shy to ask for help also. My brother stayed with me while my sister went with the mission of capturing the sights on my behalf.
Some gardening(watching) to keep us entertained.There were sounds of gunshots periodically, wonder if it's for frightening birds? I guess that's why the place wasn't doubling as a dating haven for winged creatures.
It was quiet down here because the tourists were all up there.
We were done pretty soon. Time for lunch. Scanning our surroundings, we couldn't spot anything that looked like food. A famous beef noodle shop and Ice Monster were what looked like a 15min walk away. But I decided against it as there wasn't anything to do there and it would be a seriously wasted trip if we were unable to find the shops. Like the Taoyuan Street beef noodle, so near also cannot find.

So I suggested going to Gongguan, our next destination, and see what we could find there. The National Taiwan University is just next to the Metro station, surely there would be food at places with young people?
公館 Gongguan
Gongguan was a convenient 3 stops away. It has a famous night market but it was a pity I couldn't fit it into the itinerary. So we were here in the afternoon for shopping. I have read that shopping was good for young people here due to the presence of the university. But lunch first!
Walked and walked... but didn't find anything appetizing. My brother was so hungry that he bought 2 车轮饼 from a

Weird, how come no food anywhere? Where did those students hang out after school? No need to eat?
My siblings ordered set meals while I got the ramen only. Didn't feel hungry at all.
Overall, the meal was bad. The soup was seriously add milk one lah. Ajisen is wayyy better. I think I over-pampered my tastebuds these years. The best was perhaps the taugeh, salty and crunchy. NT748 in all. Disappointing.
Strolled along Roosevelt Road shopping. Many shops were open, but unfortunately, many were not wheelchair-accessible. But I did managed to buy something. The Watson's was less packed than the perpetually-full branch at Ximending. Bought a Marjolica Marjoca eyeshadow to match my new white-purple top for weddings for NT390, with a free mini tube of makeup remover. Cheap! I didn't get their mascara although it's like their star product. Just got a new one a few months ago... My sister was looking for a new Revlon lip gloss. The tester was there, but the new one was out of stock. Wow really popular huh. Ok, shall buy at Ximending later.
Overall, Gongguan was a waste of time. Mobile people would probably find it more fulfilling. We cut short this leg. Ahead of schedule now!
西门町 Ximending
Brother was tired, so he went back to the hotel for a nap, leaving my sister and I to continue the planned shopping in Ximending. Yup, so near our hotel, but only exploring it proper now.
Ok, I want a new wallet. Very sian of my over-durable wallet of 7 or 8 years. With so many shops selling wallets around here, I just picked the one right in front of me, near Cold Stone. I picked, I chose, I deliberated and wondered if I should look at other shops first... and picked a silver short wallet. I asked the sales assistant for a new one. She obliged and ran to get it. So enthu!
A few minutes later, she wasn't back yet. Not inside the shop. She was nowhere to be seen. Just when I thought she had abandoned us, she ran back from down the street and handed me the wallet, panting. Er, so they own several shops here? Luckily I didn't decide on wasting my time looking at the same things elsewhere! I inspected the wallet and discovered some unevenness of the paint, but not sure if it's the design or not ley... My sister didn't seem interested, as she has been throughout the whole time. Well, even if it were a true defect, it could still pass off as the design? With that, I paid the NT490.
My sister went looking for her Stage shop at 开封街. We asked for directions to 开封街 from 2 secondary students, thinking they would be familiar with Ximending, but surprisingly, they weren't very sure. They pointed us a direction and we went along the bumpy pavement, difficult to manoeuvre at times, until we appeared to be beyond the boundaries of Ximending. Thus my sister had to ask for directions again from a kopitiam. The kind bosses pointed us even further away. My sister thought the shop was in Ximending, but obviously that wasn't Ximending anymore. But since everybody said it's there, just try lor. Just crossed a road, and we were finally at 开封街. Just separated by a road, and the shop demographics was no longer the hip and happening. You get your neighbourhood provision shop selling vegetables and fruits before... Stage! Finally! I didn't think it fitted into that location ley. Maybe rent was cheap lor. Smart move, don't want to close down too soon. As my sister shopped, I napped. They specialize in
I know I just bought a new bag at Keelung, but I still wanted something plainer and with a larger capacity. And I got it! Black, waterproof, can be slung or carried as a waist pouch for NT390.
Hopped into Watson's to look for the Revlon lip gloss. Found it! Here, you can have my NT335!
Cute shop selling funny stuff.
So I bought myself some edible sanitary napkins for NT95.
My sister wanted to get a chocolate with nice, but huge packaging, which will 100% get squashed while fitting it inside our luggage case. I suggested taking the box out, transport it back flattened and putting it back together in Singapore, but the box had been glued at some points, so my sister had to drop the idea.
Ximending is very hip and trendy! But the things are not very cheap lah, sigh. I didn't buy any clothes.
Thinking we were done with shopping and it was dinner-time at 8pm, we called our brother to meet us.
Weird fatty having a concert. A group of guys walked by, saying that he has been at it since he was in high school. Now he looked like a university student, so it's been a few years?! No wonder he lip-synced like a pro.At this time, the illegal hawkers scurried away again, with the police strolling from behind. The police really love to frighten those illegal hawkers and they still bothered to run away!
We were supposed to look for food, my sister got stuck at some shops again, so we abandoned her to look for food on our own.
Racist shop! Should close down!It was unfortunate many eateries were located upstairs with no lift access. We passed by the famous 鸭肉扁 shop, but didn't go in since it got mixed reviews.
There was a row of shops located near Rainbow Hotel selling similar items. The shop that sold 花枝羹 and carrot cake won our vote.
Turned out to be one of the worst meals we had in our entire stay URGH! The cooked food was so-so, our watermelon juice and papaya milk was adulterated with syrup and water (I find this unforgivable). Somebody pls tell me, am I picky, or they really suck?
Now to settle our daily fibre. No fruit shop nearby, but got illegal hawker. Now I really appreciate their presence. Bought 水翁 (heehee) and others. All cut already, very convenient. NT80 in all.
On our way back to the hotel, I grabbed a box of 我的美丽日记 masks from the Cosmed nearby for NT599. 34 pcs, which worked out to 88cents per pc, cheap!
With the new box of masks, more packing compression was necessary.
Got a bus to catch tomorrow, hope we can wake up!
2 comments:
hi, we had the 鸭肉扁 and its YUCKS.. hahaha.. waste of money.. meat tough and tasteless and the beehoon cmi too.. not to mention its pretty expensive!!
Wa... then luckily we didn't eat there! Not that the zichar dinner was any better...
Post a Comment